Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Life update IV

Mm, yeah, anyway today was our open house! yay!

But go back to yesterday first. It was bio-test day, and yeah, I didn't have time to study for that one, and I'm kinda sure I screwed up super badly! I was just smoking through qn 1, hoping that my "common sense" would get me some marks lol. 2nd qn was slightly more common sense/easier to recall stuff, so yeah, think 2nd qn was okay, unless I misunderstood it. Yeah. But sorry daniel, get an A? I don't think so >.<

Anyways, get back to today. Mm, yeah yeah for those who know bout me and chorale performance today, good for you. For those who don't, ionno, try to see where I'm coming from, I guess.

So here goes. I think maybe we start getting kinda complacent when he isn't around, so like yeah, the standard isn't really there? I mean truthfully, do we think that if he had conducted us and like taken the pracs we would have the current standard? Yeah, I guess its granted that most of the audience won't be able to hear our mistakes, and like think its totally wonderful and fabulous.

But personally, I don't think that that is an excuse for us not to deliver, right? I mean like, being in a music CCA, aren't we first and foremost meant to MAKE MUSIC? Unless we are like, recre-choir or sth, then yeah, we can just all sing for fun larh. But I feel that we really can do waaaaay waaaaay better if we just put in more effort into it!

Also, I kinda think that sometimes we take for granted some things that we do, such as techniques, details, and even mistakes! Like we believe that when we sing, all the techniques will be there, details will appear, and have no mistakes. But the truth is, most of the time on stage, nothing will appear. Details, if not internalised (which mean done a million times over until it happens automatically magically), will just remain as that -- details (like you know that there is a dynamic change there, but when you sing it doesn't happen, or you don't even know the exact dynamic there).

Similarly, all the common mistakes that we seem to repeatedly do, no matter how many times we reherse, or perform, can be taken for granted. Like we get the impression that "we are gonna do it wrongly again anyway, so it doesn't really matter". Like rushing. And breathing points. And even some of the details that "we-think-are-right-but-are-actually-wrong-but-we-don't-know-cuz-we-didn't-bother-checking".

Yeah, I guess it's definitely true that I am guilty of the above sometimes, or even most of the time. But still, I feel that it is a valid point to be raised and to be thought about.

Next, this paragraph is for those who know what I'm talking bout. Mm, yeah I mean it's really nice having loong loong meetings into the night, and enjoying each others companies and stuff, but then again, how much do we remember from our meetings? Do we remember about the part about good influences? Do we just say things that we feel at that time, but after that things remain the same? And are we already at the stage that we feel that we can allow ourselves to distract others? Are we too confident in our own abilities?

Yeah, I guess this is kinda long and emo, but yeah, I think it isn't the first time. And it probably won't be the last, so then what we CAN do, is to constantly remind ourselves. And others. Perhaps then what we can really achieve will astound ourselves, and hopefully even surpass those that have gone before us. But who knows? Who knows?

No comments: